“The child who concentrates is immensely happy.”
- Maria Montessori
Applications are accepted at any time, but we recommend submitting an application soon after touring the school, which may be done up to a year prior to enrollment. There is a $50 nonrefundable fee due with the application, and the application and fee must be received prior to a student visit.
This application is subject to the following conditions:
- We give preference in admission decisions to children with siblings already enrolled in our school and children with previous Montessori experience.
- We may contact the child’s previous schools, teachers or childcare providers to obtain relevant info. The application serves as your permission for us to request student records from any previous school or care provider.
- The application does not constitute acceptance into the Montessori School of Columbia. If the child is accepted to the school, an enrollment contract will be sent.
- At MSC, we strive to cultivate an inclusive environment that is open, welcoming, and supportive of individuals of all backgrounds. We recognize diversity at our school is essential to providing academic excellence and critical to our sustainability. The Montessori School of Columbia is committed to eliminating barriers created by institutional discrimination through accountability and continuous process improvement and acknowledgement. We celebrate the diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences of our community, employees, and families.
We will invite your child to visit a classroom once your application is processed. This helps us determine if your child will thrive in our Montessori environment.
Request for Records and Additional Information
We may request records from any prior schools your child has attended and may opt to speak with your child’s previous teachers.
Our teachers are not specially trained to educate children with specifically diagnosed learning, behavior, or attention disorders. In order to effectively assess whether we can serve your child, we request that you disclose any medical or psychological evaluations, current medications, and any other information relevant to this matter.
If we feel that your family will be a wonderful fit for ours, and we have a spot available, an enrollment contract will be presented. Contracts are offered based on the following priorities, and in this order:
- Sibling priority is given only once the older sibling’s enrollment contract is returned;
- Students coming from another Montessori program;
- People who we believe will make excellent partners and stay through the 8th grade;
- People who we believe will make excellent partners and stay through kindergarten;
- If a spot is not available for the desired school year, you may defer and remain in our wait pool. If a student moves mid-year, we will offer their spot to a child in the wait pool.
Students must be three years of age by September 1st and independently toilet-trained to join our school.
Why Choose Montessori?
Choosing the best Montessori school for your child is a big decision for any parent. Parents that believe in the Montessori principles want their children to undergo the full potential of the method and its learning experiences.